Wednesday, August 10, 2011

The Generosity of Family I've Never Met

After  a couple of flights and more than a couple of bus rides I find myself in Santander, Spain. Now what? There isn't another bus out of town, there's no where to go, oh yeah, and I don't speak Spanish. So what do I do? Head to the Cathedral of course; if I'm going to be anywhere its going to be near Jesus. So I found the Cathedral and go to Mass, then I stay for several hours, waiting for the next step to be made apparent. Come on Providence.... When the church closed and the motioned for me to get out, the next step was clear: get out. Now where to go? Where to stay the night? I started wandering around and found that this city is on the Camino de Santiago, the markers were a familiar comfort. So I began following the route hoping for an alberge to spend the night. As it turns out there was nothing. It was very strange but as I kept walking there was nothing (by this time it is already 10pm, but that's not that big of a deal because it's Spain, so there are still kids playing and families going on walks) But I turn around to head back to the center of town.
As I am walking (I must have looked lost, maybe because I was) a couple and their one year old son approached me. They asked what I was doing where I was going: "Are you a pilgrim?" Yes, I am certainly a pilgrim and a pilgrim in need as well. They invited me to come and stay the night with them. Their generosity was incredible, a delicious meal, a warm bed. "We are Catholic too" they said. It was their desire to make their home my own home, not just a physical place to sleep but a place of love and peace. I will never forget their love that they showed me or the tender way in which they invited a stranger to be part of their family. I could easily see their great happiness that came from their faith and love for Jesus. And Edwardo, their son, was probably one the sweetest babies I have ever seen...non stop smiles, even at one in the morning. God's providence; the providence of a family.

No comments:

Post a Comment